Intergenerational Caregiving Statistics
The number of grandparents and relatives raising other family members’ children continues to increase. These changes in caregiving patterns reflect many of the challenges our society faces today. Delaware is no exception.
In Delaware today:
- 13,726 children under the age of 18 in Delaware live in grandparent-headed households. This number represents 7% of the state’s children under the age of 18.
- The number children living in grandparent-headed households increased by 31% between 1990 and 2000.
- 8,524 grandparents are responsible for these children.
- Of these grandparents, 14% live in poverty.
- Of the grandparents raising grandchildren, 53% are grandmothers.
- These caregivers have had the responsibility for these children for the following lengths of time:
- Less than 1 year– 19%
- 1 – 2 years – 22%
- 3 – 4 years– 13%
- 5 years and longer – 46%
Sources: U.S. Census 2000, Census 2000 Supplemental Survey, “New Federalism” Oct. 2002, Issue 15, Selected Characteristics of Grandparents Living With Grandchildren for the United States, etc.: 2000, Census 2000, Summary File 3, special tabulations.
If you want more information on this subject, you may want to visit these sites:
- Generations United: www.gu.org
Look for information in the “Kinship Care” section of this site. If you need additional information, please call Generations United at (202) 289-3979 or e-mail email@example.com.
- U.S. Census Bureau: http://www.census.gov This site includes a listing of U.S. Census 2000 statistics and resources related to grandparents raising grandchildren. From this site, you can view of a copy of the report, “Grandparents Living With It, Grandchildren: 2000." If you need additional information, please call the U. S. Census Bureau Customer Services Center at (301) 763-4636.
- AARP: http://www.aarp.org
This is AARP’s Grandparent Information Center's site, which includes information on a wide range of issues facing grandparents and relative caregivers raising other relatives children. If you need additional information, please call AARP at 1-888 687-2277 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Brookdale Foundation: http://www.brookdalefoundation.org
This site contains information on grandparents and relative caregivers as well as state fact sheets on kinship care and resources for relative caregivers. If you need additional information, please call the Brookdale Foundation at (239) 274-0670 or e-mail email@example.com .