800 NUMBER TO CONFIRM NEWBORN SCREENING OF BABIES BORN
DURING HURRICANE KATRINA IN LOUISIANA
Babies born in Louisiana from August 15 through September 21, 2005, may not have received newborn screening for genetic disorders.
Parents of any child born in Louisiana during this period should check with their doctor to confirm that the baby was screened. If the
doctor does not have this information, parents should call 1-800-447-1985 for confirmation. Please refer all inquiries
about screening to this number.
The University of Iowa Hygienic Laboratory began receiving newborn screening specimens from Louisiana on September 8, 2005.
For more information contact:
- DPH Newborn Screening Program: (302) 741-2990 or 800-262-3030
- DPH Newborn Screening Laboratory: (302) 223-1520
- Association of Public Health Laboratories (APHL): (202) 822-5227 ext. 235
- University of Iowa Hygienic Laboratory: (319) 335-4500
- Iowa Neonatal Metabolic Screening Program: (319) 356-2674
Categories of Health Alert messages:
- Health Alert: Conveys the highest level of importance; warrants immediate action or attention.
- Health Advisory: Provides important information for a specific incident or situation; may not require immediate action.
- Health Update: Provides updated information regarding an incident or situation; unlikely to require immediate action.
NOTE: This page is for informational purposes only and dated material (e.g. temporary websites) may not be available.