The Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities (DSAAPD) is divided into several units including the Office of the Director; Service Delivery and Program Unit; Administrative Services Unit; Adult Day Services Unit; Planning Unit; and Long Term Care Unit. Below is a brief summary of the functions of each unit:
- Office of the Director: The DSAAPD Director provides oversight for all agency services and operations. The Director is responsible for signing contracts and is closely involved in strategic planning, program development, and quality assurance initiatives. In addition, the Director provides leadership for advocacy and coordination efforts and is responsible for overseeing emergency planning activities.
- Service Delivery and Program Unit: Staff in the Service Delivery and Program Unit provide information and assistance, options counseling, case management, nursing support, and caregiver support. They operate the Delaware Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC), the Adult Protective Services (APS) Program, and the Nursing Home Transition Program.
- Adult Day Services Unit: The Adult Day Services Unit provides activities and assistance for people with physical and/or mental impairments who cannot be left alone for long periods. For example, a person may use adult day services while his or her primary caregiver (such as a family member) is at work.
- Administrative Services Unit: Staff in the Administrative Services Unit develop requests for proposals, select service providers and oversee the functioning of agency contracts. In addition, the unit handles the budgeting, accounting, clerical, and computer-related functions within the agency.
- Planning Unit: The Planning Unit carries out a variety of functions including strategic planning, emergency planning, program development, housing policy development, grant oversight, and public relations. Staff in this unit also oversee the agency's Health and Wellness Programs, the Alzheimer's Disease Initiative, and Lifespan Respite Program.
- Long Term Care Unit: The Long Term Care Unit operates a licensed nursing home, Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill.