What Is It?
A birth-control patch that contains both estrogen and progestin.
How Does It Work?
- Thickens cervical mucus
- Prevents ovulation (release of egg)
- Prevents implantation of fertilized egg
How Is It Used?
- New patch applied each week for 3 weeks
- Removed during the fourth week
- Can go on buttocks, abdomen, or upper arm
- 98% – 99%
- Equals Pill effectiveness
- Does not interfere with sex
- Weekly use, rather than daily
- Good cycle control
- May improve acne
- Breast tenderness first 3 months
- Irritation to skin (rotating the placement helps)
- Some bleeding and nausea first 3 months
- May increase risk of stroke, heart attack, blood clots, or high blood pressure (especially for women over 35 who smoke)
DOES NOT REDUCE THE RISK OF HIV/AIDS OR STDs