Help Fight Medicare Fraud in Delaware
About Medicare Fraud
Medicare fraud is a widespread problem that costs taxpayers in Delaware and around the country a great deal of money. Fraud occurs when:
- Healthcare providers charge Medicare for services or medical equipment that they did not provide.
- Providers charge Medicare for services or medical equipment that were not needed.
- Providers overcharge Medicare for services or equipment.
- Insurance companies use untrue information to get people to join a Medicare plan.
- Someone steals and falsely uses another person's Medicare number.
Fortunately, most providers are honest and problems that might seem like fraud are often the result of billing errors or misunderstandings. Still, it is important for Medicare beneficiaries to be watchful. Programs are available around the country to help Medicare beneficiaries take an active role in preventing, detecting and/or reporting possible fraud. The program in Delaware for helping Medicare beneficiaries fight fraud is known as the Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program.
Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program
The Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program provides public information to encourage Medicare beneficiaries to carefully read their Medicare summary notices and ask questions if they do not think the information is correct. The program also trains volunteers to help Medicare beneficiaries get the information they need when they suspect fraud, waste, or abuse of the Medicare program.
Follow this link to read more about the Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program and find out how to report suspected Medicare fraud in Delaware.
- Senior Medicare Patrol Program Brochure
- Senior Medicare Patrol Volunteer Brochure
- How to Protect Yourself Against Medicare Fraud
- Cómo Protegerse del Fraude Contra Su Medicare
Newsletters - Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) Informer
- SMP Informer August 2015
- SMP Informer September 2015
- SMP Informer November 2015
- SMP Informer December 2015
- SMP Informer January 2016
- SMP Informer February 2016
- SMP Informer March 2016
- SMP Informer April 2016
- SMP Informer May 2016
- SMP Informer July 2016
- SMP Informer August 2016
- SMP Informer September 2016
Request an Information Packet
Want paper copies of Medicare fraud resource materials? Contact the Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program and request an information packet.
Become a Senior Medicare Patrol Volunteer
Visit the Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program Volunteer Opportunities page to learn about volunteering with the Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program. Your help is needed!
- Medicare and You
- My Medicare
- Delaware Medical Assistance Bureau
- See the Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid Information page for additional links
Medicare Fraud Links
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid - Medicare Fraud and Abuse Information
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Justice - Stop Medicare Fraud
- Administration for Community Living/Administration on Aging - Senior Medicare Patrols
- Senior Medicare Patrol National Resource Center
For more information, contact the Delaware Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) and asked to be connected with the Delaware Senior Medicare Patrol Program.