AmeriCorps is an opportunity to make a difference in your life as well as the lives of those around you. Similar to a domestic Peace Corps, it is a chance to apply your skills and ideals toward helping others in addition to helping others and meeting critical needs in your community. AmeriCorps matches your interests to the area of the country in which you would like to serve, creating a unique way to serve others.
When a group of people come together with a goal in mind they can change the world. Whether your service makes a community safer, gives a child a second chance, or helps protect the environment, you'll be getting things done through AmeriCorps!
- To make a difference in the lives of those in the community
- To give members new skills and experiences they can use in the workforce
- To give members the satisfaction that comes with helping others
- Applicants must be 17 years of age or older
- Health coverage and student loan deferment while in service
- Valuable training in your chosen area
- The opportunity to meet new people, make friends, and travel
- Learn new skills
- Upon successful completion, members receive $5,350.00 to pay for college, graduate school, or to pay back student loans
- Some members receive a small monthly living allowance
Where They Serve
In Delaware, AmeriCorps members serve with non-profit organizations as well as public agencies. Some of these include: the YMCA Emergency Services Corps, Ministry of Caring, Sussex County Habitat for Humanity, Connecting Generation, and the Delaware State Parks. The activities performed by the members vary from organization to organization, but the goal of all of them is to make Delaware a great place in which to live, work, and study.
Frequently Asked Questions
To learn more about Americorps, visit the National website.
Charles Debnam Building
1901 North DuPont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720
How to Get Started
Applications vary by Americorps Program. Please call to inquire about the specific program for which you wish to apply.
Questions? Contact Americorps by calling 1-302-255-9883