What Is It?
A sheath made of polyurethane with rubber rings at each end that covers the vagina
How Does It Work?
- Creates a barrier between penis and vagina
- Collects and holds the semen
How Is It Used?
- Must be inserted before contact between penis and vagina
- Insert ring at closed end deep inside vagina. Opened ring stays outside the vagina
- The condom is removed after sex, and thrown away without spilling the semen
- Condom is used only once
79% - 95%
- Women can assure protection
- Can be bought at many drugstores
- Can be placed in vagina up to 8 hours before use
- The material is stronger than latex
- Can be used for people with latex allergies
- May slip out of place during sex
- May be difficult for some women to insert at first
- May cause irritation or discomfort
- May increase risk for toxic shock syndrome, if left in too long
MAY REDUCE RISK OF HIV/AIDS AND STDs