The Behavioral Risk Factor Survey (BRFS) is an annual survey of Delaware’s adult population about behaviors which increase risk of disease, premature death, and disability. The Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) is a cooperative effort of the Delaware Division of Public Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and is primarily funded by CDC. It is conducted in all U.S. states and several territories.
The random-sample telephone survey is conducted for the Division of Public Health by Abt Associates, Inc. Data from the survey are used by both public and private health providers to plan health programs and to track progress toward the state’s health goals.
IF YOU ARE CALLED: The Division of Public Health strongly encourages all Delaware residents—if contacted—to participate in this vitally important study. Data produced by the BRFS are essential for planning and evaluating effective public health programs that help all Delawareans. You may be called on either your landline or cell phone. All respondents are randomly selected; and calls are always anonymous and confidential. If you are called on a cell phone while driving, or at an inconvenient location, arrangements will be made for a safe, private call back.
About the BRFS
Delaware 2018 Prevalence Tables
Delaware 2017 Prevalence Tables
Delaware 2016 Prevalence Tables
- 2016 calculated variables report tables [175 pages] — PDF file of calculated variables from the 2016 survey
- 2016 core questionnaire detail tables [274 pages] — PDF file of frequency tables from the survey’s core questions and demographics
- 2016 tables from state-added modules [100 pages] — PDF file of frequency tables from selected modules
- 2016 county data table — table of key variables by state and county [PDF]
BRFS Data Reports and Presentations
- Chronic Disease in Delaware: Facts and Figures; November 2019
- 2018 Tobacco Data Summary: " More Than One in Five Delaware Adults Use Tobacco Products"
- Summary of 2018 data on physical activity, nutrition and obesity prevention
- Summary of Delaware 2018 diabetes data
- Summary of Delaware 2017 hypertension data
- Summary of Delaware 2017 data on high cholesterol
- Report on Health Insurance Coverage in Delaware, 2018
- 2017 update of BRFS data on sexual assault prevalence in Delaware
- Summary of 2018 data on adult alcohol use and abuse
- Seatbelt use among Delaware adults and high school students
- Prevalence of selected chronic diseases and conditions, 2017
- Cancer screening trends From 2008 through 2016
- Update on adult influenza, pneumonia, and shingles vaccinations
- Summary of 2017 BRFS data on HIV risk behaviors and testing in Delaware
- Report on Burden of Cardiovascular Disease & Transient Ischemic Attack, 2011-2015 [PDF]
- PowerPoint PDF presentation about adult tobacco use in Delaware, with 2016 BRFS data
- Cancer disparities report, 2010-2014 (published July 2018) — includes analysis of BRFS cancer screening data [PDF 82 pages]
- Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Delaware, 2010-2014 (published July 2018) — BRFS data in Appendix D, pp. 274-276 [PDF 304 pages]
- Summary of Delaware 2015 data on nutrition — fruit, vegetable and sugar-sweetened beverage consumption
- PowerPoint slide presentation on Obesity in Delaware, using 2015 BRFS and Youth Risk Behavior Survey data
- CDC fact sheet on Disability Impact in US and Delaware, using 2015 BRFS data [PDF]
- Update: The Burden of Asthma in Delaware [PDF] Revised March 2017
Please note: Some of the files available on this page are in Adobe PDF format which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. A free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded directly from Adobe . If you are using an assistive technology unable to read Adobe PDF, please either view the corresponding text only version (if available) or visit Adobe's Accessibility Tools page.