Low-Income Special Utility Funds
Delawareans without stable housing can face barriers in renting a new apartment if they have large past-due utility bills. Two one-time specialty funds, Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (heat and electric bills) and Low-Income Water Assistance Program (water and sewer bills) can help.
Home Energy Assistance Program
- Division of State Service Centers (DSSC) received $12.8 million in one-time special ARPA funding.
- Partnering with contract provider, Catholic Charities, and local utility companies.
- Program is leveraging these funds against past-due electric bills.
- To date, more than 3,000 Delaware households have gotten support in paying down or paying off outstanding bills.
- Application period ends Sept. 30, 2022.
- For more information or to apply: LIHEAP Website
Water Assistance Program
- Division of Public Health (DPH) is leveraging $2.2 million in one-time Low-Income Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) ARPA funding.
- Provides assistance to eligible Delaware households to pay water and wastewater bills.
- Info: Division of Public Health at 302-744-4546 or LIHWAP@delaware.gov
- Program Website and Application