Current Suspected Overdose Deaths in Delaware for 2021: Get Help Now!

EFFECTIVE AUG. 16: At all state offices/facilities, employees and visitors will be required to wear face masks indoors logo

How can I get home care for a family member when he/she is discharged from a hospital or nursing home?

Hospitals have discharge planning (or social work) units to help family members in making arrangements for needed services, such as home care. A member of the hospital's discharge planning/social work unit will discuss needs and service options with you before the patient is sent home and will answer any questions that you may have. If your family member is a Medicare beneficiary, be sure to ask about Medicare coverage for home health services following discharge.

If your family member is being discharged from a nursing home, contact the Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities' Nursing Home Transition Program for assistance.

You can find a list of home health and personal assistance services agencies in the Guide to Services for Older Delawareans and Persons with Disabilities  or in the Service Search section of the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) website.

Another helpful resource is the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services publication, Your Discharge Planning Checklist: For patients and their caregivers preparing to leave a hospital, nursing home, or other care setting .

If you have questions or if you want to find out about eligibility for publically-funded home care services, please contact the ADRC.