What Is It?
Surgical procedure to cut and block the male sperm tube
How Does It Work?
Removes sperm from the semen
How Is It Used?
- Local anesthesia is used
- A surgical procedure is done to cut or block the tubes
- This method is permanent
99.8% - 99.9%
Vasectomy is not effective until sperm is cleared from the male system, usually about 15 ejaculations or 6 weeks
- Easier than female sterilization
- Does not interfere with sex
- Surgery may cause adverse reaction to anesthetic or infection and bleeding
- Temporary bruising, swelling or tenderness of the scrotum
DOES NOT REDUCE RISK OF HIV/AIDS OR STDs