What Is It?
A flexible, donut-shaped ring containing estrogen and progestin, which is inserted into the vagina.
How Does It Work?
- Thickens cervical mucus
- Prevents ovulation (release of egg)
- Prevents implantation of fertilized egg
How Is It Used?
- Inserted for 3 weeks
- Removed during the fourth week
- New ring inserted after fourth week
98% – 99%
- Equals Pill effectiveness
- One application lasts for three weeks
- Good cycle control
- Not recommended for heavy smokers. May increase risk of stroke, heart attack, blood clots, and high blood pressure (especially for
women over 35 who smoke)
- Vaginal discharge, infection or irritation
- Headache, weight gain, bleeding or nausea
- Breast tenderness first 3 months
DOES NOT REDUCE THE RISK OF HIV/AIDS OR STDs