TUBERCULOSIS PPD SOLUTION SHORTAGE UPDATE
On April 12, 2013 the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced a nationwide shortage of Tubersol®, one
of two Purified Protein Derivative (PPD) tuberculin used in the Tuberculin Skin Test (TST) to diagnose TB infection. A shortage of
Aplisol®, the second brand of PPD solution, was announced shortly after.
The shortage of PPD solution has now ended. The shortage of PPD solution Aplisol® was resolved May 2014, and the
PPD solution Tubersol® was resolved in July 2014.
Resume testing in keeping with usual protocols.
Active TB disease is a legally reportable illness in Delaware, and the majority of cases are treated by specialists in DPH TB Clinics. To
report a case of active TB, please contact the TB Clinic in your county or the TB Program.
- DPH TB Elimination and Control Program
- Ruth A. Fournier MSN, RN
TB Program Manager/Nurse Consultant
- DPH TB Clinics by County
- New Castle: 302-283-7588
- Kent: 302-857-5130
- Sussex: 302-856-5119
- CDC Division of TB Elimination: www.cdc.gov/tb
Categories of Health Alert messages:
- Health Alert: Conveys the highest level of importance; warrants immediate action or attention.
- Health Advisory: Provides important information for a specific incident or situation; may not require immediate action.
- Health Update: Provides updated information regarding an incident or situation; unlikely to require immediate action.
NOTE: This page is for informational purposes only and dated material (e.g. temporary websites) may not be available.